Monday, January 25, 2010

First Post

The reading defines a video game as “any forms of computer-based entertainment software, either textual or image-based, using any electronic platform such as personal computers or consoles involving one or multiple players in a physical or networked environment.” I completely agree with this definition but I do believe the element of interaction needs to be added. When I am playing a video game, I feel as if I am interacting with the game. I communicate to the game through a controller and based upon my communication, the game communicates back to me. This interaction between the game and the user is what users feed off of to make users believe as though they are actually part of the game, that the game is somewhat of a virtual reality.

An example of a video game that I have learned from is FIFA soccer by EA Sports. I have been a soccer player my entire life and I play soccer on the Men’s team at Bentley. Being an avid player, it is tough during the winter when we cannot play outside. Playing FIFA has helped me stay sharp during the offseason. The fast pace of the game forces the user to make quick and snappy decisions which have helped my soccer mind stay fresh during the winter time. Specifically, FIFA has helped me position myself on the field. FIFA allows the user to view the entire field from a sky view or television camera view. Constantly having this view reinforces my mind where I should be on the field for the position I play. I believe that observing player positioning in FIFA has translated to the actual soccer field for me, especially in defensive situations, where team shape is vital. I usually play FIFA in the “FIFA Lounge” where each of my roommates and I have a username. The “FIFA Lounge” automatically calculates cumulative statistics between players and overall standings.

I would definitely categorize FIFA in the “Sports and Beat-‘em-ups” category because it is a sports game. FIFA would also be categorized as a home game as opposed to a coin-op. FIFA has a practice mode that can be classified under paidea in which there are no objective but it also has many ludic contexts in which the user can play in tournaments or leagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment